Thursday, March 06, 2008

Kite Runner Review


We had our book club meeting Tuesday night to discuss "The Kite Runner" While a few of the ladies didn't care for the book, I really liked it! I would recommend it. It is not a light book however.
As I thought about the book and why I liked it, I thought about other books I enjoyed and why I like them. A very memorable book I read in grade 4 was "Beat The Turtle Drum" the story of a girl who's sister dies falling out of their family tree house. The story is told from her perspective and how she deals with her sister's death. A book I enjoyed in Jr. High was "Something Wicked This Way Comes" a story about good and evil. In High School I loved the tragic story of Hamlet, and a book called "A Seperate Peace" a story again of innocence and the loss of innocence, good and evil.
Are you sensing a theme of the kind of books I like to read? I guess I am a sucker for a tragic story and character struggles between good and evil, which "The Kite Runner" is. It is also a story of family, friendship and redemption. I also liked that the book took place in Afghanistan. It made me want to learn more about Afghanistan, it's people, history and culture. I found it very culturally educational as well.

3 comments:

Christie said...

I may just have to read this one... sounds good.

The Bryan's said...

I have been looking for a new book. I will try this one. My friend in Brazil loved it.

The Bryan's said...

I have been looking for a new book. I will try this one. My friend in Brazil loved it.