Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hawaii 2010- Day 4

Day 4 began with more of THIS When Brad finished his course at 1pm we decided to check out the north end of the island.

While the area near our hotel was all lava rock, it soon changed into these rolling ranch lands as we headed north just 10 minutes.
We pulled off the side of the road to check out this cave
It was a pretty big lava tube with some cool rooms. Too bad our crappy flashlight from the hotel didn't allow us to see much, but it was fun to check out.

We also saw these turkey's wandering around on the road to Wimea
We stopped in Honoka'a to check out a few shops and bought some more macadamia nuts.



I loved this beautiful Waipi'o Valley.
This is where King Kamehamaha was hidden as a small child.

We decided to hike down to the black sand beach you see below along a steep road that can only be driven with a 4 wheel drive.

In the valley this horse was wandering around.
Apparently this valley is full of hippies and people who want to "get away from it all" as there is no power, phone, or cell service in this area. We met a resident of the area while we were walking back from the beach... and he didn't even have a watch and had to ask us the time!

My first time in a "jungle"
Awesome black sand beach!

More handsome hubby


Because we got a late start, and were losing day light we only stayed at the beach for about 20min. before we had to make our way back up "the hill"
"The road gains 800 vertical feet (243.84 m) in 0.6 miles (0.9 km) at a 25% average grade, with steeper grades in sections. This is a paved public road but it is open only to 4 wheel drive vehicles. If classified as a road, it would be the steepest road of its length in the United States and possibly the world."

Keep this in mind as you hear Brad breathing in the video.
(I, of course ROCKED the hill :D)



I was SOO parched! Water never tasted so good as when we stopped in Wimea on the way home at Huli Sue's for supper

We had some AWESOME pork @ Huli Sue's !! I loved it! I would go back there in a heart beat.

Check out Brad's onion rings!!
We had read in "the Bible" about their fabulous banana cream pie, and told the waiter when we came in that we for sure wanted some of that after our big hike out of the valley.

When it came time for dessert we found out they had given the last 2 pieces to another table :(

Great restaurant and lots of pretty sites this day.

8 comments:

Christie said...

Wow, not sure I'd have made that hike down to the black sand beach. :-) I couldn't get the video to work... I'll try again tho, after I sign in. You're dinner looks yummy, but what a bummer 'bout the pie. :-(

brittany said...

holy cow! that sounds like some hike. beautiful though.

Shawna said...

The video is hilarious! I like how Brad was checking out your chest on the video... am I the only who noticed that? Ha!

Seemed like such an awesome day! How fun!

Seeing you all sweaty and wet on your hike reminds me of our trip. It's crazy how curly hair can get in that climate.

Grandma Whiting said...

I can't believe it. I had almost given up on seeing new entries on your blogspot. Today, I thought I would give it one more try, and there you were in Hawaii. Nice surprise. Great pictures of you and Brad, and the video was fun. Beautiful pictures of Hawaii. Did you hate to come back?

stone's eye view said...

looks like a great trip! you have sold me on Hawaii.

Brad said...

Shawna, get your mind out of the gutter. I was just looking at one of the breast beaches I'd seen.

Ben said...

it's funny because it's perverted.

Becky said...

That horse picture reminds me of Lost! You guys must not have been fans, though, because I haven't seen any pictures of you visiting any of their filming locations! By the way, I'm hoping that someday in the future I'll be referencing your blog so I'll know what to do on MY future Hawaiian vacation!