Thursday, November 04, 2010

Hawaii- Day 5


Wednesday morning I decided that perhaps I should do something a little more productive than sitting on the beach all morning again and headed 5 min. north of our hotel to Puukohala Heiau national park.
This temple was started in 1790 by Kamehameha I, after the death of Captain Cook at Kealakekua Bay.

It was built entirely by hand with no mortar, in less than a year. The red stones were transported by a human chain about 14 miles long, from Pololū Valley to the East, involving thousands of people.

When the heiau was completed, it measured 100 by 224 feet (30 x 70 meters). Kapukahi's prophecy required that a high chief be sacrificed there, so Kamehameha invited his cousin Chief Keoua to the dedication. When Keoua arrived there was a fight, and Keoua and most of his men were killed. The body of Keoua was carried to the heiau and offered as sacrifice to the war god Kukailimoku.

Here is a picture of the bay just below the temple. It is an amazing contrast to the barren land the temple is built on. Many Hawaiian royalty lived here on this bay.

It was a very interesting stop. I'm glad I went.

But there was still the matter of the BANANA CREAM PIE
so...

I drove back up to Wimea and after checking out a few shops in town, got us some of that pie!!

It was totally worth it! Delicious!!

I was a bit late getting back to the hotel and Brad was waiting anxiously waiting for me to go do some more snorkeling. Again we just went down to the hotel beach and snorkeled off the other end of the beach and spent a good hour snorkeling until we had to head back to the hotel to get ready for our Luau!

We saw close to everything on this poster!

We decided to go to the Lu'au at Kona Village.I LOVED it. Here is a little sampling from our Lu'au:

The opening entertainment. Listen to all the birds in the background :-)


My kids LOVE this picture of this very animated bassist
Our dinner is "unearthed"


I tried the poi and the taro root and the taro leaf.
Hmm... not my favorite

Turn the other cheekLots of fun

Another beautiful Hawaii'an evening!
I kept taking my coat everywhere... just in case... NEVER needed it!

5 comments:

Christie said...

The ruins..... yeah, the best part was when you looked back at the beach where you shouldda been sitting. :-) The Luau looks awesome!! Poor Brad had to go to conference every day?!?! That sucks

Becky said...

You took your coat to Hawaii?! You're such a Canadian! :-)

Grandma Whiting said...

Fred and I went to this island when we went to Hawaii, but for some reason you found the more interesting spots to go to. We will have to make another trip back and make note of the places you blogged. What a dream vacation.

Bill Cook said...

Looks like a nother great day. Glad you were able to enjoy such a nice holiday. Loved the "Somewhere over the Rainbow" - IZ style - had to go to Utube to get the whole version by Isreal K.

Shawna said...

I'm impressed that you did things while Brad was at conference. I would have lounged on the beach every day. Did you come home with an awesome tan?