Thursday, September 03, 2009

In the land of the Giants- Day 2: July 14

Tuesday morning we went to the Humbolt University Marine lab and checked out their "touch tank"
Then we took a walk out on the pier and on the beach of Trinidad Bay and found this guy snoozing
Trinidad used to be a big whaling town and was known for the horrible smell from the whale processing plant. These are remnants of the slip where they used to pull the whales up to shore.
This guy just came off a chartered boat fishing tour with his halibut.
We headed into Eureka for the afternoon and watched the pelicans dive for fish off the pier and checked out the cool old buildings downtown. Brad's favorite stop was the salt water taffy shop where he got a big bag of the stuff.
We went back to the house in Trinidad and spent some time just hanging out in the backyard and watching the waves come in with the sun shining on our faces, and a slight breeze. One of those days you wish you could put in a bottle and open whenever you wanted to.


After hanging out at the house for awhile we decided to go down to Agate Beach and well... search for agate. There were tonnes of cool rocks on the beach and Brad and the kids left with pockets full of "cool rocks." What we are going to do with them... I don't know, but it was fun hunting.
Abby enjoyed the beach and wrote this message in the sand for Samantha. It reads "S I A" which she said stands for Sam Is Awesome
I love this pic of the girls
A nice way to end our day

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Fun vacation! Now I'm wishing we had a few more weeks to do things without school getting in the way! It looks like you guys had a ton of fun. I love the sisterly love in the sand, that is so sweet!

The dinosaur museum was really fun. It was a little expensive (for Utah) but my kids could have stayed there for a really long time. If you have kids that are into dinosaurs they would LOVE it. There is a lot of stuff to do, and everything is really cute. I don't know what it's like in comparison to drumheller, though. I have wanted to take my kids back down there, but I barely remember what it's like since I haven't been since I was little. But I would recommend the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point for sure :)

Christie said...

I love the comment about bottling the day... wouldn't that be cool if we could do that? I would put the bottle in my laundry room or closet, and go hide in there and have a sniff every so often. :-) Great pictures... LOVE the last one.. that's a keeper. and the one of the girls. So cute!