Thursday, February 28, 2008

Can't blog.... reading

So I offered to host our Enrichment "Book Nook" for March. I am NOT a reader for a few reasons.
A- I don't usually enjoy reading, I don't have much of an attention span.
B- I hate wasting time on poorly written books
C- I read painfully slow... I like to think I am a "deep reader" :-) Honestly, I really do think about what I read to try and discover the hidden meanings and bits of wisdom in a book.
D- If I do find a book I like to read, I read it to the exclusion of all else. Not a good situation for the state of my house.
I hesitated offering to host as it meant I needed to read the book. When I looked at the calendar on Tuesday and realized that "Book Nook" is next Tuesday I decided I had better get my butt in gear. I picked up "Kite Runner" Tuesday night around 8 and am over half way through. It is a compelling book, well written, and I am enjoying it.

Have any of you read Kite Runner?
What did you think?
Any thoughts to bring up at my discussion group Tuesday?
Anyone seen the movie?
No spoilers though!! I am not finished yet!

Gotta run, gotta clean the house for another enrichment meeting tonight, get Abby off to swim lessons, and hopefully get in a chapter or two of Kite Runner.

5 comments:

brittany said...

I guess I better get busy. Perhaps I should head to the library today!

Christie said...

Good luck with all your meetings at your house. I went to the same schools as you and I am also a painfully slow reader..... hummm, however, I don't give myself as much credit as you.... I think I am just slow, not analytical.

Shawna said...

I just have to say you have the best titles for your posts. I love to read your blog!
I haven't read this book. Reading is one thing I'm not good at making time for. Once I start, I don't want to put it down and too much time gets waisted. I haven't finished a book since before Theron was born. I would like to change that so let me know if you come across any great ones, worth getting your house in a disaster over in your book club.

Becky said...

I remember hearing about some controversey with one of the young actors and a certain scene his family regretted letting him do. That's all I know about the movie, and nothing about the book! You'll have to let us know how it was.

SJacobus said...

I'm terrible when it comes to books. I absorb them and usually can't put them down and yes my house falls apart. I didn't finish this book in time for last night, but I too am enjoying it immensely. And now that I've read more I see what you all meant about the father. I was wrong. I'll say it.