Sunday, January 31, 2010

Stuck on you!

January 8th 2010 would have been Elvis Presley's 75th birthday.
We were "all shook up" about it so I grabbed the kids and my "Big Hunk O' Love" and headed to a local diner for a special dinner to celebrate
Lyle the owner and his wife came up with this fun menu

They also had fun trivia cards on the table, but "A Fool Such As I" didn't do so well with the answers.
I had never had a signature GRILLED peanut butter and banana sandwich, so I figured
"It's now or never" and ordered one and it was really "Too Much"... no "Return to Sender" with this meal. It was delicious!!
Check it out!! (Mmmm... now I want another one!)

They had Elvis music playing over the speakers in the restaurant and were playing an Elvis movie on the TV and I "[Couldn't] Help Falling In Love" with Elvis and his music and charm.

Now "Don't be cruel" and judge me too harshly, but we couldn't resist getting a peanut butter and banana shake for dessert too. Mmmmm!

It was such a fun way to celebrate and educate the kiddos on "The King"

I love this video. He looks so great in that leather outfit


This is probably my favorite Elvis song. I SO wish I could have seen him perform in his prime!


This one's a classic!!



Elvis, it was fun to celebrate "The Wonder of You"

5 comments:

Christie said...

Cute post about the king. I would have loved to come with you for some grilled PB and Banana Mmmm. Do you remember that I used to sleep w/ one of his albums next to my bed. I LOVED Elvis.. I had all those books and collector cards. :-) So my kids came home from school asking if Elvis really did die on the toilet. I wiki'ed it and it was interesting to read what Med's they found in his system.

Shawna said...

Sounds like a fun night to me!!

I can't help but picture you and I jamming together at an Elvis concert if we knew each other during Elvis times. Suspicious Minds is my favorite Elvis song too.

What I want to know is...how much better a grilled pb and banana sandwich would taste with some duck fat spread on it?!

Grandma Whiting said...

Tracey--I loved this post. Thanks for putting it together. I heard these songs many times but never saw the videos all the way through. I remember when Elvis first came on the scene. My brother came home and told my mom that you would not believe this new singer that swiveled his hips. It was quite a scandal at first. He finally appeared on the Ed Sullivan show, but they would not allow the cameras to go below his waistline. My mom, my sisters and my brother all thought he was disgusting, so I had to swoon over him in private. They were all Pat Boone fans. Pat Boone became famous about the same time as Elvis, so there was always a competition going on with them. Pat Boone was a "goody-two shoes" and Elvis was a little bit of a bad boy. Come to find out later they really liked each other, and this was the role they each agreed to play, and it brought popularity to both of them with a different following of fans. But now I find out that you and your family and Shawna (and even Christie) are fans. I am not alone anymore. Hope you enjoyed this little bit of background history.

diner life said...

Thanks, Tracey, for the post.

It was a fun day for us also. Our animated Elvis sits in my office waiting for another chance to entertain sometime.

I listened to many "Elvis" stories that day but one seemed to top them all. A regular told me of when he was in Tennessee for training. He and his buddies would go to this basement bar. A man who he described as kind of 'geeky' was singing there. He used that word for two reasons. First was the man's music which was unusual for the day and secondly because when the man joined his group, he never drank anything but coffee. He introduced himself to them as Elvis. This man,my customer, went to Europe to serve and upon his return to the US was surprised to see this same man, Elvis, being the rage of the country.

Natalie said...

Thanks for the piece on my Dad. You have no idea how much I appreciate Brad and Sandra coming to the funeral. Thank you.